Landscape Construction is a broad term that encompasses two categories of landscaping services: hardscapes and softscapes.
If you have been considering hiring a landscaping company to design and build out your outdoor space, more than likely you’ve come across the term, “landscape construction.” While landscape design is a much more common concept, landscape construction is just as important.
DSLD’s Landscape Construction Team: What We Do
- Provide cost estimates for landscape construction jobs.
- Interpret a landscape architect or designer’s plans and execute the necessary work.
- Provide horticultural knowledge and expertise
- Perform a wide variety of construction skills, including the ability to build retaining walls, pave driveways, and other large areas such as patios, lay pavers, and construct pergolas and other outdoor structures.
- Design, plan, and implement irrigation and drainage systems.
Landscape construction projects range from permanent to semi-permanent installations and are an investment in your home. Depending on the number of services and the complexity of the project, the cost can range from a few hundred dollars to thousands.
Before any work begins, including the initial design, you will be provided with a detailed estimate.
What is the difference between hardscapes and softscapes?
Hardscapes within a landscape are typically constructed with materials such as stone, pavers, wood, and sometimes, plastics. Landscaping hardscape services include stonework such as fireplaces, outdoor kitchens, barbecues, fire pits, patios, and retaining walls and designs using wood such as decks, arbors, gazebos, and fencing. Water features such as waterfalls, fountains, ponds, and dry river beds are also considered hardscapes.
In contrast, softscapes typically refer to services and installation of plant and other organic materials including shrubs, grass, soil, trees, annuals, and perennials. Landscaping softscape services include landscape architecture, design, ornamental bed and tree installations, landscape renovation, and master planning for estates and large residences.
Things to consider when hiring a landscape construction company:
- Examine and survey your landscape before your consultation.
- Be aware of any problem areas, drainage issues, and soil conditions, etc., and communicate those concerns during your consult.
- Consider how you currently use your outdoor space and how you would like to use it in the future What is important? Some considerations include entertaining, athletics, play areas, and relaxation.
- Communicate your thoughts, expectations, and budget concerns during your landscape consultation. Not only will this will save you time and frustration, it will assist the contractor during the bid and design preparation process.
- Be sure to request contractor references and proof of contractor license and insurance.
DSLD Land Management has over 30 years in landscape construction. If you are planning a landscape project in the Birmingham or central Alabama area, call us at (205) 437-1012 to schedule your free consultation with one of our licensed and degreed professionals and put DSLD to work on your project.